Sunday, December 5, 2010

Strategy Slam


A few years ago I was advising one of my clients to seek out the place of strategic solitude. He chose to take his wife to appeal for resort in Maui, the couple spent a week  out by the pool, golf, and fine dining. I met him for lunch right after his return from Hawaii, he looked tan, fit and rested. I enjoyed our lunch and finally asked him how his new strategy was coming along. With a sheepish look on his face, he apologized, and said he was going to work on it first thing in the morning. After witnessing his experience with strategic solitude in resort locations, I concluded that if the location is too beautiful, it become a distraction.

In my own experience, some of my best strategic solitude moments, came in one of my least favorite restaurants, Denny’s. Now I don’t want to come across as a restaurant snob, but I just don’t like being in a Denny’s restaurant. I would leave my cell phone and laptop computer in the car, and take only a yellow legal pad. Two eggs over easy, two strips of bacon, hash browns, and dry wheat toast, served on a white plastic plate a gourmet delight indeed.
 Not distracted by the food or the service, I had plenty of time to focus on selecting a new strategy for my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment